Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Trip to Vegas

Mostly for Alex's Manager's retreat, I made an executive decision to come along on this trip.  Why?  Because Alex had been away for two weeks already and I wasn't about to spend a third alone.  I would have loved to take the whole family but that would have been too much.  And I wanted a little bit of a break.  And since originally, the plan was that he would stay at the Mandalay Bay with everyone else while I stayed at a friend's house, we thought it best to leave Chrysa and Hinckley at home with the grandparents.  So both my parents took the two little troublemakers while we took off to Vegas for four days.  When we got there though, it was arranged so that we could stay in the fun hotel with Alex.  We sure were excited to stay at such a nice hotel.  We spent time exploring sin city and walked the strip.

We finally made it to the Bellagio water show after a long walk down the strip.  Alex and I are big fans of the Ocean's series.  And so I was excited to see the show again.  It was Alex's first time.  But it was rather disappointing.  Somehow, it wasn't as exciting as it once was.  Maybe it had something to do with walking from the Mandalay Bay hotel to the Bellagio with a stroller for about an hour, still recovering post-partum in the insanely hot weather.  It was an hour walk back.  Too much walking for this recovering mom.  Still, I suppose it wasn't all that bad.  I burned some fat calories for sure.

The next day we went to Lake Mead.  These silly fish at the dock cracked me up.  They eat sun chips.  Go figure.  I never thought I'd see the day that fish eat chips.

We saw the Hoover Dam.

 Some of the other Select Security reps and Owner Pat.

My boys being boys.

They found some tall cliffs to jump from.

Jet Skiing.

My barely one-month old baby out on a lake with slightly flushed cheeks.

Then we had an evening of my favorite, Cirque du Soleil.  "O" at the Bellagio is by far my favorite show.  I love it oh so much.  Since the company was paying for Alex's ticket, he figured it would be fun to buy two more and go see it with Orion and myself.  We figured it wouldn't be a problem to buy the tickets last minute but we were disappointed when we found out it was sold out.  Luckily, a friend had a ticket he wasn't using and so that took care of Alex and Orion.  I figured if one of us couldn't watch it, it had to be me since I had already seen it and I wanted my boys to enjoy it.  It's absolutely my favorite kind of art.  So I was sad.  I was grateful for my sweet roommate Tiffany and her hubby who were so willing to watch my little baby that night.  I took him over and went to wait in the standby line to see if anything opened up.  It looked hopeless.  I told Alex that if I had to spend the night alone, I was going to head to the M&M store and eat chocolate and that he better not judge me for it.  I was ready to cry.  Silly I know.  I was hormonal.

As it turns out, a guy came to the standby line with three extra tickets that he wasn't going to need.  The first couple in line took two tickets, leaving one.  Everyone after them, wanted more than just one ticket so they didn't take his one ticket.  I was about 6th or 7th in line.  But I just wanted one.  So that ticket was a grace from God.  What's funny is that the person behind me just wanted one ticket too.  Coincidence???  He must have known how badly I wanted to see the show and taken pity on me.  The guy offered me the ticket for less than I would have paid originally.  So it turned into a great win win situation.  All three of us got in for the reduced price of one ticket and I got a better seat than the other two.  I'm convinced the Lord has better plans for us than we have for ourselves.  I seriously got that ticket seconds before the show started.  The only downside was not being able to see my boys' reaction to all the cool stunts.  Oh well.  I still enjoyed the show quite thoroughly and Orion's favorite part, he told me later, were when the clowns came out.  Guess he thought they were really funny.  A ya yay.



Here we are under Dale Chihuly's glass blowings.

They really are quite pretty and sea-like.  It was a fun little mini-vacay.  I had more fun hanging out with my family and our friends Ricky and Leah, and Robbie and Tiffany than walking the strip.  There are some strange people there.  Funny.  Once upon a time, I thought everything about Vegas was so exciting.  Guess I had kids and that changed.  Crazy how life changes perspectives.

No comments:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer