Monday, November 5, 2012

A Light to Us All

Pregnancy is a Miracle.  I grow more and more in awe of all that takes place in such a short amount of time.  It's quite a lot that takes place in nine months.  No scientist in a lab has ever been able to recreate what happens in those nine months.  These are just my thoughts out loud.  I have some old friends that are atheists and in no way do I disrespect their right to believe what they believe, but as a mother, I find it impossible to think that the organized manner in which life is formed is purely accidental/coincidental.  It's crazy.  To think that all this happens without a purpose is crazy in my mind.  With each pregnancy I have had the opportunity to experience growth in my own testimony.  There is no doubt in my mind anymore that there is higher intelligence.  Divine design.  God is an artist.  I know it.

Edison Kale was no accident.  A surprise, yes.  I'm convinced that even though we weren't mentally prepared for this little guy to enter our family that he needed to be here.  God definitely knows things better than we do.  It's not that we didn't want him.  Somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew we wanted more children.  I guess I had sort of thought it would be a while before we had another one.  After Hinckley, I'd definitely felt the strain of monotonous mothering life.  I've had the strongest desire to be able to have more time to establish new hobbies, develop new skills in crafting/sewing and the like.  But it seems that with each new child, those things definitely become more and more impossible and get placed on the back burner.  

But little Edi's smiles and expressions are infectious.  Yup, our little family is so blessed.  While I would never say that birthing is easy, I share my stories because I believe women deserve to be empowered by such stories and I prefer to share my labor of love rather than instill fear in women about "the horror of labor," or the pain.

Little Edi was my first experience with back labor.  Funny thing is that I didn't even realize he was back labor because he felt very much like any other labor.  I was also certain he would come earlier than the others.  Nope.  He's the bun that has baked the longest, almost making his due date which was two days away from his actual date of birth.  Little Edi joined us August 31st.

All summer long, I had been feeling extra heavy.  I had a lot more pelvic sensitivity this time around.  My midwife said it's normal.  She said that the more kids I have, the more sensitive my joints will become down there.  Wonderful.  All part of the labor of love I suppose.  I guess I'll take it.  It's worth the sweet little smiles and giggles.

Since we were close to 40 weeks, about 7 days before he was due, I began using Clary Sage oil on my belly as regularly as possible.  I craved this scent for whatever reason.  It really had the ability to calm my emotions as well.  But about a day later, I began to feel the early surges.  The ones that come about 20 minutes apart.  Give or take.  They remained for about a day and then died down again.  Guess the little guy just wasn't ready yet.  I walked around the neighborhood a lot, even rode my bike and did crazy things like monkey bars.  I was ready to be done with pregnancy.  I'm just one of those that would rather have a baby than a huge ginormous belly that weighs me down and tires me out.

Around Wednesday, the contractions really began to pick up again.  Every 15-20 minutes or so.  My labors are always so random it seems.  I believe Wednesday was the last night I had of uninterrupted sleep before baby's arrival.  Thursday was my day to really zone in and focus.  I used a lot of Serenity and Lavender in my diffuser to help me with breathing and it really helped.  I spent Thursday night timing contractions anywhere from about 3 minutes - 10 minutes apart.  I was in the bathtub for a long time.  The water really is calming even though I never deliver in it.  Maybe some day I will.  The on-call midwife (Trinette) was busy with another birth when we first called her at around midnight on Friday.  Since I felt it wasn't quite time yet, I didn't bother her or tell her to call the next on-call midwife.  We waited about 4 more hours.  They hadn't been getting any closer or consistent but I was beginning to feel worn down and exhausted.  I knew I was close, but the nervousness and fear of crowning is always somewhat there which never fully allows me to relax the way that I'd like.  Crowning, which I would describe as the most painful part of it all is so short-lived though.  It's seconds long and then it's over.  Still, I was tired and wanting labor to come to an end now because I just wanted to sleep.  I must admit, the hardest part of it all is watching my husband sleep.  I just want to punch him because I get so jealous of his ability to sleep so peacefully while I have contractions every 5 minutes.

At about 4 am, Trinette arrives with her two midwife students Taya and Rachel.  She checks me and I remember feeling the anxiety because I always dread I will be told I am still at a four.  So I was pleasantly and joyfully surprised I was at a nine.  This is about the time I was informed that the baby was still not in a good position.  He was sunny-side up.  She had me lye down on the bed and gave me some homeopathic remedies to help the baby turn.  He slowly turned but laying on my left side was a bit uncomfortable.  Alex was so supportive at this point because for about two more hours he was there and awake the entire time putting lots of counter-pressure on my sacrum.  My mom was in the next room with Orion and Chrysalis while my dad was with Hinckley trying to get him to sleep.  I was so grateful for their presence and support in my desire to have my kids present at my birth without allowing them to get in the way.  I want them to always view birth as natural and spiritual.  I want them to be comfortable with it.  Never to fear a drug-free birth.  Plus, for me, home births are the ultimate educational, homeschooling experience.  There is so much to be learned when viewing the most awesome experience that life-giving can be.

At about 7am or so, I wandered on over to the birthing stool to push.  I pushed a few times and told her I was frustrated because in my previous births I had had my water broken for me and that is what made pushing easier and quicker.  Unlike Suzanne who had attended my previous births, Trinette was hesitant to break my water right away.  But I think I knew my body pretty well.  I told her to please break my water.  I felt very strongly that that was what I needed assistance with the most.  I knew I could do the rest.  She had me push a few more times without much avail.  But still, I held in my mind the image of blossoming and opening my body to let my baby through.  Soon enough, Trinette agreed to breaking my water.  She had me lay on the bed again and as soon as the membrane was ruptured, I felt the contractions come on stronger and closer together.  It's amazing the will you find to push through.  I was so tired.  And yet, I knew I didn't want to be in labor all that much longer.  I went back to the birthing stool with Alex behind me for support and gave it all I had at the next contraction.  I felt him moving down now.  We couldn't see him yet but I knew he was close.  On the next one, I felt the ring of fire.  The crowning moment.  His little head was out.  By this point, I was beyond exhausted.  But somehow the endorphins and adrenaline all kicked in.  I pushed past the pain and shoulders were out and it was over.  And little Edi was on my chest.  My oh my.  How I love the feeling of a vernix smothered baby on my body.  His little hands and feet next to my belly and his head nuzzled up against my heart.  Makes the whole thing so worth it.

Seeing my little girl's face of shock at the sight of so much blood and fluid was priceless.  "That's yucky!" she exclaimed.  True as that may be, watching her expression soften as she then inquired what it would be like to have babies of her own someday was also priceless.  Both Alex and I explained to her that we would be there to help her too one day if she so desired.  Her expression quickly became excited.  I know that even at such a young age, her maternal instincts are something she was born with. And I'm thrilled I get to participate in this life lesson with her as she understands so much more this time around.  Orion was equally excited this time as he was the last time with Hinckley.  He has two little brothers now and calls them his best friends.  And while Hinckley doesn't quite understand birth yet, he loves smothering his new little brother with kisses as often as possible.  He holds his arms out and gestures to me quite often now that he wishes to hold his baby brother.  I know they will be close.

Birthing is very dear to me.  I feel super empowered as a woman to have been able to experience both birth in a hospital environment as well as at home.  My passion to share it springs forth from my desire to empower other women as well.  I hope this post does just that.  Never is my intention to tear down the woman who doesn't feel she's had the experience she has always desired.  My intention is to share hope and to inspire.  I think that a woman who carries a child for any amount of time is powerful.  A woman who miscarries or has a stillbirth is powerful.  She is no different from a woman who carries her child full term.  A woman who carries a child for the amount of time that God wills is doing a sacred work and reaching her full potential.  It is why I am passionate about the politics behind tearing down women who are Pro-Life.  I'll fight for it with every fiber of my being because I know what it's like to bring life into this world.  I CHOOSE LIFE.  I CHOOSE my Father's will.

I will not post it on my blog for personal and moral reasons, but if anyone out there ever wants to view my birth, please ask.  I am happy to share my video with anyone who wants to feel empowered.  I know I gained strength from watching other women go through it.  And I'm happy to email my video to almost anyone.

Edison Kale, we're so blessed to have you here.  We love you little guy and want you to always know how much you were wanted here in this family, on this earth.  How much you were needed at a time like this.  You are named after a great inventor who never gave up hope.  You are named after a wonderful life-giving plant that derives its energy from the powerful sun and grows strong and mightily.  You are a light for us.  You bring us light and truth.  And you lighten and brighten our path and our ways.

Well, that is my story.  Here's to our small and precious light.  To our Edison Kale Huntington.
   

No comments:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer