Thursday, April 21, 2011

Quilts for Japan

This cute lady first introduced me to Hypnobirthing and natural childbirth. Her cute daughter organized this service project that I couldn't pass up. So on March 19th, I gathered my chickens and took them over to this chapel in Orem to help out with putting together quilts to send to Japan shortly after the tsunami took place.

It sure feels good to be a part of something you know will help someone many miles across the earth. I even had my older two do a couple of knots so that they could contribute too. Orion kept asking me why? So I explained to him that people had lost their homes and everything including blankets and he said, "Yea, people need blankets to stay warm."

I wish I had taken more photos to show how many were there. When I walked out of there, there was a huge pile of about 20-30 quilts or so. It truly was quite the mountain of quilts. It's amazing to me how a gathering of hands can do so much in just a few hours.


Here's one I worked on. While working on it, I met a woman who was actually from Japan who talked about how even though her family was okay, she knew the area well that is now under water. She was the sweetest lady to talk to. Amazing the people you meet at things like this. Again, I wish I had taken more pictures. The Japanese are truly a graceful people. I love getting to know about different cultures. It's almost like traveling to these places. Time and time again, I come across people from many different walks of life who truly inspire me. This is just one more experience to add to that collection of memories that make me a more grateful person for the blessed life I have indeed.

No comments:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer