Friday, April 16, 2010

Visiting Nauvoo - Part 1

So we made it to Illinois. No car troubles. Hooray!

A shot of the Mississippi river. Beautiful.

After we'd settled into our motel and napped for about 5 hours, the kids were up and wanting to do something. So we went on over to tour Nauvoo like cute little tourists.

It was the cutest little town. I'm starting to think I want to live there.

The first place we went to see was the Lucy Mack Smith Home. So this was where she raised her family.

I seemed to use the word cute a lot that day but I sincerely thought everything was so cute. The cute little well beside the home. The cute little fire pit. The cute little outhouse.

The cute little time piece furniture with cute little gloves.

The cute little children's bed.

The cute little doll and toys. Of course this was just all for staging purposes. None of the furniture we saw was actually theirs.

The cute little china cabinet.

And across the street from that was the brick house. It's where they manufactured who knows how many bricks. But we had a cute little tour guide showing us exactly how they were pressed into molds and everything. And all dressed up too, in cute little costumes of the time period.

He snaps a photo of us all together.

Here's a sample brick we got to take with us.

She loved touching all the different sculptures.

She did recognize Jesus. I love it. We only have one picture of Christ in our home and different portraits of him can make him look slightly different but she knew the face nonetheless. Here she turned around as if asking in question, "Jees, Jees?" Just to make sure I suppose.

Outside the Visitor's Center in Nauvoo there were all of these beautiful scultptures. What a great place to run amuck.

We had fun re-enacting some of these.




I think this one is my favorite. I've seen sculptures like this one before but as a mother, I suppose it touches me all the more deeply.

Some interesting info. I didn't realize that the Joseph Smith home was not owned by the LDS church. Maybe someday it will be. You can't see it for free like everything else because it's owned by the Reorganized Church. Since we got there late in the day we didn't get to go inside anyways, but maybe we will on our way home this summer. The grounds around the home were peaceful and calming though.

This picture doesn't do the sun's rays justice, but it was so beautiful that day and as Chrys was walking around the Joseph Smith home, I captured this photo and it reminded me of how in the Sixth Sense everytime the little boy's mom had captured photos of her son in his youth, there were little flashes of light, similar to the one hovering over Chrys' head here, representing a ghost or presence nearby. I'm not superstitious or anything, but I'd like to think it's someone watching over her. An angel perhaps?

Me in front of the Joseph Smith home. Where Joseph and Emma lived together. Where he was tarred and feathered.

Just enjoying the day and the sound of the river. I was also quite fascinated with the chinking of the log cabin. Ever since reading Patty Reed's Doll I had always wondered how it would stay warm inside the cabins with nothing but a mud mixture in between the logs.

Alex and Orion stick-pulling.

My sista, Gio.

It was quite a momentous day. I think my sister will be posting more pictures on her blog that she has on her camera. Or maybe I'll steal them and post them up here in another post. More to come.

2 comments:

Palmyra said...

Ooh, I would love to be there. So, I showed Caleb the picture of you, your husband, and little girl mimicking the statues; I loved it so much, and thought it was endearing. So he says one of this days we should go to the L.A. Temple and mimic the one there. You know, the one with the bunch of kids!! Yikes!

Ligia said...

Good idea. Go for it. We had fun. :o)

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer