Friday, April 23, 2010

Random Reflections

I know I said I wanted to keep a better record of this pregnancy. Unfortunately, having two kids already doesn't allow me a lot of time. I don't know how I manage to find time right now. But naps help I guess. I should probably be napping myself right now but I would much rather write for a little bit. I'll try and get some belly pics up later too.

For now, I just want to write a little about how I've been feeling, both physically and mentally. I think this past month, I've just been too busy to really take a moment to let the thoughts of a new baby sink in. I feel somewhat sad about this. I guess it just seems as though with the first one, I had so much more time to indulge in every moment of what it would be like to be a mom for the first time. I'm just as excited, just not as nostalgic I suppose.

For the first three months, I did have slight nausea but nothing as bad as I can remember having it with Chrysalis. It could just be that she was a girl. But I really think my diet had a major role to play in my feeling so queasy ALL the time. About two weeks ago, the nausea really died down. For this, I am so grateful. Throughout the entire trip out to South Carolina, it was hard to remain vegan. We did cheat here and there and then also for a few weeks after arriving. We've been eating out and getting pastas at Macaroni Grill. I love cheesy pastas. Sadly, I can only say it makes me feel worse later. Because my diet has been meat and cheese free for so long now, I know without a doubt, that the cheese doesn't sit well in my stomach or intestines. If it's just chicken, it doesn't seem so bad. But I get pretty heavy bloating and some light cramping shortly after having eaten any dairy.

I was so upset to find absolutely no Jamba Juices nearby. They were my easiest source of getting quick wheatgrass shots. I haven't had them for a while and have noticed a huge slump in my energy levels. The best I could find was a place called Earth Fare that sells frozen shots that you can defrost. I guess it's the next best thing. I also got a jar of powdered grass to mix in with smoothies. But we don't get any living enzymes from these sources. Nothing can replace freshly juiced grasses. I'm sad that no one around here seems to know where to get wheatgrass and even more surprised to find how many don't even know what it is. I guess in the South, it's all about the fried chicken and waffles. Sounds good though. I might just splurge on this once simply for the experience. But yesterday I finally made it to home depot to pick up some trays and potting soil so that I can have some fresh grass growing on my balcony. I guess if you want it done right, you've got to do it yourself. I also thought I'd try strawberries in a pot since they disappear so quickly in my house. Don't know if it will work but we'll see. It's fun to experiment. And I like watching things grow.

Watching things grow and helping them along is soothing. I try to imagine how it all takes place on the inside. Sometimes I wish I could see through my belly so I can see how the baby is developing from day to day. But I can't imagine it all looks pretty. So maybe it's best this way. But the human anatomy and the stages of embryonic development highly intrigue me. All the things that have to occur in order for each cell of each organ to position itself to do its job properly absolutely astound me. How we are all made up of tiny elements found on the periodic table, magnetic energy and electric energy is enough to throw my mind into a whirl of thoughts. I wonder how all the elements obey God's will. And yet here I am, and I am a part of it as his daughter. A daughter of a divine heritage. It's taken me so long to realize what that really means and somedays I know it more than others. Today is a good one as I quietly reflect upon and count my many blessings.

Well, I wish all fellow bloggers out there well and as an old friend once put it, I send out my Good Vibes your way.


2 comments:

Amy said...

I've never tried those wheat grass shots, but I've seen the sour looking faces of other who have tried them. Do you ever get over the taste? If it gives you that much natural energy, it could be worth it.l

Ligia said...

Oh Amy, I didn't like them much at first either. I won't lie. I don't think I've gotten used to them. But I feel the effects and have seen it cure different things from my fatigue and allergies to my son's eczema and have heard people cure themselves of cancer with this miracle drink. If you mix it with a little apple juice or trace it with an orange wedge or something, it's really not so bad. If you want a good book, read Wheatgrass: Nature's Finest Medicine by Steve Meyerowitz.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer