Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Travels Continue

So our days in Sioux Falls came to an end and then there was more driving in store for us. Halfway between Sioux Falls and Salt Lake, we made a pit stop at quite a monumental place. At least it was special to us and worthy of being documented so that our kids could know in the future of the meaning of such a place.

A couple blog posts back, I attached a link to a video where Gordon B. Hinckley gives an account of three young men who crossed the sweetwater river carrying the pioneers. One of those men who happens to be Alex's relative crossed the very river that runs alongside Independence rock, where we made our stop. Now, if you've ever played Oregon Trail as a child, then you know that Independence Rock was the landmark you were eagerly awaiting to get to, and hopefully before July 4th (Independence Day, hence the name). This was to assure you would be able to cross the mountains before the frost came. So on our LONG trip by car (and I'm being facetious) we finally made it to Independence Rock and decided to climb it. It seems like such a silly thing to do, I know. But there is something mystical about reaching the top and gazing over the entire plain where the river runs through. I can't ever imagine what it must have been like to cross these plains on foot. And I complain about traveling in a nicely air-conditioned car, with gas stations available every few miles. But putting that aside, it was one of those moments when you just felt connected to the past, present and future. You know, miles of road behind, ahead and all around. Symbolic of our trial that is this earth I suppose.
Here is a little about the landmark,

Alex trying to live up to his ancestor's strength.

thinking he is the king of the world.

Another view alongside the rock.


And here are my babies at the top.


Yes, I climbed the rock carrying my little girl. I actually did it barefoot cuz flip flops aren't exactly the best climbing shoes. It was amazingly easy to do with no shoes. Don't ask what I was thinking. All I know is Alex talked me into climbing up after he and Orion did. The girls were feeling a little left out I guess.

Here are the boys climbing the rock. Boys will be boys.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

What a wonderful post and great pictures. I hope they help Orion remember his adventure.

Amy said...

Totally agree with you about the whole Oregon Trail game waiting to get over fording the Sweetwater Creek to get to Independence Rock. I'm proud of you for making it up with Chrys in tow!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer