Sunday, February 27, 2011

The True Meaning of Patience

Well, to set the scene for this little incident, I must start by posting pictures of these cute and fun little figurines we've been collecting. You can get them at Deseret Book or order them online. They're not exactly cheap, but in my opinion, they're an excellent teaching tool and my kids think they're just playing around. They have no idea I'm teaching them about the Book of Mormon this way.

Here is a close up of King Benjamin. Orion actually learned this story the best so far. He knows it so well I caught him re-telling what I'd told him, to Chrysalis once, ending with, "Remember to serve your flow beans." At least that's what it sounded like when he was retelling the story.

Here's a close up of some of the others. What child wouldn't love to have these as learning aids for the scriptures? I know I would have loved playing with these just as much as Barbie.

Here's what we've collected so far. We only have a few left. Anyways, we took these to church one Sunday and since my two older children are still learning the concept of sharing, they had a hard time playing with these quietly. Here I am, as a mom, thinking to myself, "What a great toy to take and play with during Sacrament Meeting. They will play with these ever so reverently and remember the stories of the scriptures in so doing." I'm not so sure the image I had in my mind of my kids playing with these was quite the image that will forever be etched into my memory of what really happened that Sunday. Anyone who knows Chrysalis, knows that when she gets in her moods, she gets really loud and shrieky. Is shrieky a word? She has been this way since she was three months old. So, during sacrament, Orion took out the Book of Mormon Heroes to play with and Chrysalis tried to grab one. When he pulled them away from her, because he wanted to select which one she would have, she quickly turned it down and threw it on the ground. I calmly told her not to do that. And of course her reply was, "Leave me Alone!" I then asked Orion to please let her pick the one she wanted. At that point, she was already too upset to be pleased with any outcome. "Leave me Alone!" is what she stubbornly repeated. Orion tried to hand her Nephi, in a sense, as a peace offering because now she was determined not to take any. "Leave me Alone!" is what came again. This last time was loud enough to turn some heads as everyone else silently partook of the sacrament. I was already frustrated because I was at church alone with three kids. Alex was in Phoenix. Orion sweetly laid Nephi on her lap without saying anything and I guess that was her last straw. She flipped out, and took the bag of action figures and dumped it on the floor along with Nephi, hit Orion and then said, "Don't want Nephi!" Since Hinckley was sound asleep and Orion was behaving fairly well, I decided it was time to take Chrysalis out and have a talk. She obviously knew this wasn't a good sign. I tried ever so gently and patiently to pick her up and carry her out at which point she began crying and wailing and kicking her legs furiously all while practically screaming, "I want my Nephi! I want my Nephi! I want my Nephiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!" I could literally feel the heads turning and the eyes staring and though I was slightly shamed by my child's lack of reverence, I stop to think about what it might have been like from the others' point of view and I have to laugh. I think I may have finally learned the true meaning of patience.

1 comment:

Alex said...

"I want my Book of Norman Heroes!!"

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer