Thursday, February 17, 2011

Because So Many Have Asked . . .



How do you get your kids to eat healthy?

I thought I'd do a little post on my experience with it. I'll be honest. I didn't start off right when I first became a mom. Through trial and error, I have found what seems to work best FOR NOW. I'm sure that will be tailored time and time again, and with different kids, because we all know they come with different tastes.

I read an interesting book a while back by a Valya Boutenko in which she discusses how kids imprint on the first foods they are ever given. She claims that these first foods become their comfort foods in the future. I cannot disagree. So the little bit of wisdom I can share in regards to what I've seen at least with my own children is that it matters what you start them off with. In my opinion, the best solids you can start a baby on is raw blended foods. This is the part where I will once again advocate the GREEN SMOOTHIE! What would I do without it?

Let' just put it this way: I started Orion on Gerber rice and oatmeal cereals. Guess what he constantly asks me for? Cereal. He has definitely been more of a struggle to get to eat healthier, but he has finally started to take to the raw fresh fruits and veggies a lot more. Chrysalis also started on Gerber rice cereal. But what has made the biggest difference with her and why does she ask me for cucumbers, tomatoes, salad, coconuts and all sorts of other good foods? I never gave her the cooked, preserved gerber baby foods. After the initial rice cereal, it was green smoothies of every kind and flavor. She has since loved gnawing on raw squash, onions, even potatoes and other raw food sources. She surprised my sister one day when over the summer, she had come home with some Applebees Sampler platter. Apparently all she wanted off the platter were the celery sticks. There were maybe three or four of them on the platter amidst the fries, onion rings and chicken wings. No dip. Just celery sticks. That's all she wanted. I've never forced her to eat celery sticks in my life.

With Orion, like I said, it has been a more difficult journey with all of his health issues. He still asks me for what I believe are his original comfort foods, but I try and limit them so that he can have more variety. And variety is key. I do my best to give him plenty of options and allow him to take part in the smoothie making process because he loves flicking the switches and making what he later gets to drink. I remember sitting on the kitchen floor one day crying about how I was going to get Orion to eat all these good foods if all he wanted was what he saw me eating. I kept thinking up strategic ways of eating while he wasn't looking at me. This plan didn't last long. It wasn't until I decided to BE the example for him that everything just fell into place. I didn't have to hide foods from him anymore. We prepared our smoothies and other meals together and enjoyed them together and still do. Most of his health issues are gone. A lot of my own issues disappeared along with his. It doesn't mean I'm perfect. But I can honestly say I am in a better place than where I was just a few short years ago. And I'm grateful that my son has shown me in many ways how to change for the better.

Call me old-fashioned, but I say the best way to get a stubborn child to eat healthy is by one, BEING THE example and doing it yourself, and two, denying them the junk they are asking for just long enough for them to start asking you for the many other options that you have for them. They may choose not to eat anything at first. But trust me, they won't starve themselves. Eventually, they give in, and when they do, it's our job as mothers to be ready with lots of good options.

On this particular day, I learned how to crack open a coconut and used the water in this particular smoothie. Orion chose dandelion greens, some pineapple, and spinach to throw in. And he loves it. Go figure.



1 comment:

Eloisa said...

I am glad of how they prefer these products. Lig, when you were little I used to give you lots of fresh juices. I remember giving you guys grapefruit juices all fresh, and carrot, tomatoe and orange juice. So I realy think it is a great idea to start early. Same thing with the principles that we live with. Congrat. Hijita.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer