Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October 4, 2011 - Juice Fast Day 2

In case anyone is interested, these are my two new favorite books. I've been reading a lot lately to keep my mind occupied. I really enjoy Dr. Fuhrman's research. He was actually a professional ice skater back in the day. How he turned to medicine? He had an ankle injury that refused to heal and when a doctor suggested a new experimental procedure to cut slashes into the muscle tissue to force it to heal itself faster, he'd simply decided to turn to a more natural approach. Which worked so much better, he decided to get a degree in medicine. But unlike many (mind you, I said "many" and not "all") doctors in our modern medicine world, I truly feel he is a caring doctor giving people correct information, rather than another prescription to suppress a symptom that is warning us of further underlying problems in our body's own system.


The question of the day: How is the fast going? Okay, I was warned. The second and third days of a juice fast or any type of fast are hard. Your resolve is tested. Since it's still a juice fast, I'm certain I'm still getting plenty of nourishment. I haven't felt starved at all. But the urge to snack on things is definitely there. Especially when I pause to get a moment to think about food. If I'm busy, it doesn't seem to bother me as much. That definitely tells me something. I need to keep busy. Maybe I haven't been as busy as I thought. Training my mind to focus on other things is hard. I've been reading a lot.

Still, making rice and beans with tomatoes tonight for my kids, which normally doesn't look as appetizing was hard not to salivate over. I just kept on drinking my juices and tons of water. I'm starting to think I might only make it to day four or so. Still, I'm determined. My digestive tract could use a break to clean house. One day at time. That's how I'm doing it right now. Is it all that hard? Not terribly. But my emotional connection to food is what seems to be suffering the most. Coming face to face with my addictions and telling them who is in control is not easy to do. Alex has joined me today and so today is his Day 1. We'll see how long he lasts. Either way, it's kind of nice to have a few people on board to do this with. Even my kids drink the juice. And it's not exactly the most palatable juice. Of course, they're not fasting.

1 comment:

Palmyra said...

Thanks Ligia, I will look into it.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer