Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Great Lecture and a Free Bag of Sprouted Rice Grass

I have so many other posts I wanted to put up before this. But I am just so excited to share the experience I had tonight. It has become my latest passion to get more involved in what most people think is just a "health craze," of some kind.

Tonight I went to Good Earth (the health food store for Utah County it seems) and met Robyn Openshaw (the famous Green Smoothie Girl) in person. Thanks to my sister who stayed to watch the kids. Anyways, she shared with everyone her story of where she came from and why she went this route with her eating habits. Let me first state, she is not a Vegan or Vegetarian but encourages as much as possible for people to move toward a diet that is 60-80% whole foods. She is a single mother of four and it is nice to look up to someone who is LDS and sets such an example among these LDS communities.

Her first son suffered many of the same symptoms that mine did when he was fighting off bouts of allergies, coughing up phlegm like crazy, scratching the life out of his eczema rashes, literally bleeding from every limb of his body, getting tons of ear infections, and no pill, steroid ointment, round of antibiotics or breathing nebulizer machine was the cure. He constantly had a cold or a flu of some kind and all that doctors would tell me is that chances are he would grow out of it, but not to worry. Not to worry?! How was I supposed to not worry when I was up all night, not getting any sleep so that I could attend and finish school, and kept my working husband from getting sleep as well because our little boy was having another coughing fit and flare-up and crying because the antibiotic we just gave him caused a full body rash and a fever? Even now as I write this, I am emotional thinking of all the stress and fatigue our entire little family went through in order to find this sweet boy a cure that actually worked. We were all so miserable at the time. But as I look forward to the future with a newfound hope, I realize that I have a wonderful story to tell my son in the future. He has taught me so much about what true nutrition really is. For that I will forever be grateful that I had to go through such a grueling experience. Because of all he went through, I know now how to prevent any of those things from happening to the rest of my family and that includes both Orion's siblings and his Daddy.

She went on to explain how her grandmother who was diagnosed with stage three cancer chose not to undergo conventional medicine and in so doing managed to cure herself and went on to live 25 more years. What did she do? She juiced and ate a lot of raw salads. Her uncle on the other hand was diagnosed with a milder form of cancer and decided to undergo chemotherapy and radiation. To make a long and tragic story short, he died 18 months later. I know she didn't tell that story to point fingers at anyone who has chosen that path or the one where you combine conventional medicine with natural. Too many of us are uninformed and in a world that is run by propaganda, too many innocent minds have been taken advantage of and convinced that there is no cure for all of our degenerative diseases. The Great Father of Modern Medicine himself said, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." We are walking around like zombies in this world. There are cures. Real ones. Making Green Smoothies like Robyn encourages everyone to do is the first simple step that anyone can take in order to improve not only our health, but our quality of life.

I ended up staying there for about half an hour after the store had already closed in order to get her to sign some books for me and got to talking with her about everything. She even told me the story of how her nearsightedness was cured. She wore glasses all through highschool and eventually over time didn't need them anymore. This really fascinated me because it is something I have been working on but maybe perhaps haven't had the right approach because I've put my glasses back on many times and especially when I get frustrated on the road. I am convinced now more than ever before that this is still an achievable goal, no matter how difficult it may seem. I even got teary eyed and gave her a hug for sharing all her stories as they have really helped me to know that I am not alone and that our Heavenly Father really does answer prayers and guides us to find answers to all questions no matter how insignificant some may seem.

I think she is a very special lady doing a wonderful work of charity with all the advice she gives out for free. I was also one of the lucky three in the lecture tonight to receive this monster package of Raw, Vegan, Sprouted, brown rice, protein powder. I must admit I really wanted it and thought to myself when I entered the room, "That powder of grass is MINE." I know. I'm crazy. The things I get excited about. Why on earth would anyone want powdered grass and actually be excited about it? Well, let me leave you with some reasons to think about:

This particular brand uses an old world process of combining the sprouted endosperm and the bran from Raw Sprouted Whole Grain Brown Rice. This unique process creates the first complete hypoallergenic Protein which is made up of all 9 essential amino acids and other non-essential amino acids in a perfectly balanced amino acid profile.

Sunwarrior Protein has a 98% Correlation rate to Mothers Milk and a 98.2% digestion efficiency making it one of the highest digestibility and efficiency ratings of any other protein sources (compared to whey and soy).

Sunwarrior Protein powder is created with a Low Temperature natural Enzyme process that does not use any chemicals or acid hydrolysis (like most proteins do).

There is currently a clinical trial which shows promise that Sunwarrior Protein aids in the absorption of vitamins in Aids patients. There has been a direct correlation between the use of Sunwarrior Protein and the absorption of vitamins in Aids patients where other proteins do not provide such synergistic affects during the intake.

Those are just some reasons.

The most important just plain being that it is raw sprouted grass. It doesn't get any better than that. And the fact that I got a bag $50 worth for free. YAY! This is one of the most valuable things I've ever won. And I never get drawn to win anything. Hmm. The law of attraction really works. Because I very strongly visualized that bag in my hands. :)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admit. I'm a skeptic, at least insofar as vegetables curing cancer goes. BUT you've got my attention. I'm willing to experiment a little.

My problem is that whenever I try to eat healthy, I just end up starving. I have a hard time filling up on greens.

If I'm thinking of starting with something small, where should I start? Green smoothies? So I just start putting greens into a blender?

Unknown said...

thought you guys would like this so you can continue with the vegan life style

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/10-foods-that-vegans-cant-eat-2443353/

April said...

I'm so glad you got to go! I wanted to so badly but got sick. Thanks for sharing. Wahoo for winning the powder!

P.S. Robbie, in my experience, green smoothies are a GREAT place to start--the best change you can make if you only do one. Having a good blender (like Vita Mix or Blend Tech) makes them a lot nicer to drink.

Ligia said...

Thanx Jenny for that link. I have trouble with the marshmallows still. I use them occasionally to make rice krispy treats. But I think I am going to try not using them anymore. Sorry you couldn't go April. I'm glad you sent me the info though, or else I might not have gotten a ticket in time. She has other retreats going on later but for quite a price. I'm so happy I got to see her for free. :)

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer