Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Another New Year, A New Resolution

As I sit here reflecting quietly for the short moment in which all three of my sweet children sleep, I had some thoughts I wanted to write down. I feel behind on my blogging all the time. Things happen and I want to write them down and post fun pictures as a way of keeping somewhat of a scrapbook/journal but the time escapes me faster than I can think. I suppose that if all I did was blog all the time, then I wouldn't have anything to blog about. Ha ha!

I have a Christmas post I wanted to do before posting this but I will have to get around to it a little later as I don't want to lose my thoughts. All the Christmas video I want to post for all you grandparents out there is still coming. I promise. It will just be a little out of order but who cares, right?

As I sat taking mental notes of what was being said at Hinckley's blessing (because Chrysalis was determined to sit on my lap, nowhere else and with no one else) and as my sister Tiffany took some notes, I later realized there was a theme to the blessing that stood out both to my sister and myself. Perhaps it is a message to me in some way to remind me of the things that I need to do as his mother in order to assure that he will grow in the direction that our Heavenly Father would like him to. The theme that stood out to me was that of doing good works. Doing the Lord's work and helping the church to grow requires so many different talents and services.

I think back to the times I spent at BYU doing service projects that were required as part of a class. I don't think I did them out of true charity then. I did them for a grade. How sad is that? In any case, I am grateful that certain teachers and classes required of us certain projects because I now think back and wish I would have had a more charitable attitude towards these assignments. The beauty of this situation is that I can still do things now. Now that I actually have a stronger desire to BE of service to others. I think of all the "good works" that our late prophet Gordon B. Hinckley did and I want with all my heart to be the example that my sons and daughter need in order to be more charitable. Not out of obligation but to truly feel the pure love of Christ.

I sit here reflecting on all the gifts and talents my Heavenly Father has so graciously bestowed upon me and I have to ask myself, "What have I done with these gifts to serve his sheep and lift others up?" I am selfish. I guess it's human nature to feel greedy. But I can still tame that and so am determined.

So with the beginning of the new year, I am not making the resolution to lose weight anymore. Everyone makes that one. Not that I am going to ditch the vegan lifestyle or anything, but I'll be the first to admit that every year my goals always seem to include: working out more, eating healthier and losing weight. If I'm really being honest with myself, that seems to have been the resolution I've made every year for about the past 15 years or so. Is that a bad resolution? I don't think so. But this year, my strongest and most resolute of goals is to do more Good Works. To be more Charitable. To Serve my Fellowmen. I'm sure the opportunities will present themselves a lot more as I seek them. I've always used the excuse that I don't know what to do and when and where to go and do it. The truth is, I've never sought for it. With three little ones, it's hard to hold myself accountable sometimes so I share this publically in order to stop making excuses for myself.

So here is one of the first ones I would like to attack this year. As I was browsing one of my favorite sewing tutorial sites I came across this:

http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/

I can't think of a better way to put my sewing abilities to good use. And it's a service project I know I will have fun with. So if anyone would like to join me and make some of these, I will probably spend this month working on a few to mail to Little Dresses for Africa. Sweet and simple. And I imagine some little girl on some part of that continent will enjoy my efforts more than I can fathom, even if for but a small moment. Wish me luck. Here's to "Standing a Little Taller," "Being a little Better," and "Forgetting myself & Getting to Work." Suggestions from the Giant Among Men himself.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Love you.

Jenni said...

I can totally relate to your new years goals of working out, eating healthier...I seem to remake those every year too.
I like your new goal. Thanks for being an inspiration!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer