Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dressing up the Old Bookshelf

I forgot to take a before and after photo of this project but I remembered in the middle of it. Alex took apart this old bookshelf that we've had forever and was practically falling apart. We even considered getting rid of it many times but finally decided that if there was a project worth practicing on it was this one. It was really ugly already anyways. I wish I'd gotten a picture of what it looked like before. Oh well. But I think Alex did a pretty good job with this one. It's hard to show in a picture how wobbly it was too but it's a pretty strong bookshelf now. I think it's got quite some life left in it now. Interesting what a sander, some paint and new screws will do.

Here's a close-up of the wood with a dark chocolate brown paint.

All finished. It's a simple design but it works. Here it is all set up with not even half of the books we own. Why we have so many books, I will never know. I guess we love to read and then can't part with our books. Books are treasures of knowledge. I guess someone once told me that and it has stuck ever since. But in my defense, since Alex always tries to get me to get rid of things we don't need which includes books, I was able to donate a whole box of books this last month.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Books are sacred objects!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer