Wednesday, November 3, 2010

When October Goes

This last month went by so quickly and I don't know where the time has gone. As a young child, there was a song by Barry Manilow called When October Goes that my dad used to sing in the car all the time with my sister Gio and myself. It was one of our favorite songs and to this day still is. It represents so much. So I thought it fitting for this post since October has come and gone and I really do hate to see it go. If you've never heard this song before, you should. It's a classic beauty of a tune. Anyways, so here are some random things that have come and gone. For those who may not know, my uncle Juan Uceda is one of the 70 and recently gave his first talk in this last general conference in the Priesthood session. He really is such a great example to me and my family. For those who may not know how he is related to me and for my kids who I'm sure will be curious in the future, he is married to my mother's sister. So he was obviously out here visiting during the conference weekend preparing for the first talk and we had him over for dinner. I haven't seen them for a few years so it really was quite a treat. I also recently discovered he has been a vegan for 15 years and I had no idea. Anyone who knows I've been trying out this path of a vegan lifestyle knows how excited I become when I come across friends or in this case members of my own family who share the same points of view. Even though I fall off the path here and there, it is encouraging to be lifted up by others around you setting the example. And he gave a beautiful talk. Please do view it when you get the opportunity, if you haven't already.

After church the Sunday after conference weekend, I took notice of the fact that my little girl is outgrowing some of my favorite little outfits that I love to see her in. I got this little dress a while back and fell in love with its bold colors. And when I found these cute shoes to go with it, I was so excited. I love having a little girl to dress up however I want. For now. I shed a tear at the thought of how quickly she is growing. I almost miss nursing her. I look down at this new baby as he nurses and memories of my sweet little girl's face flash through my mind much in a similar way to how movies do quick flashbacks of memories strung together in a few seconds. I recall seeing her cute little chubby arms reach up to try and grab my nose or poke at my eyes. Don't get me wrong, there are times when I wish these long nursing days would come to an end already, but then it's at times like these when I notice how big they are getting that it hits me: They won't be little forever. And someday they won't be mine. My daughter will have a husband. My sons will belong to their wives and these years are few and short.

My silly little children won't be so silly anymore. And someday hopefully, I will have done a well enough job to say that I raised wise, humble, and generous human beings.

So I had to capture some photos of her in this sweet little red dress for one of the last times. You can see it is almost too short for her now. My little girl is not a baby any more.

But she'll always be my baby.

And in the meantime, I have a new baby who demands much of my time and attention. As well as his daddy's, who by the way will always be my babe.

So here is my newest baby, a month old already.

And when October goes,
The same old dream appears,
And you are in my arms,
To share the happy years.

I turn my head away to hide
The helpless tears,
Oh how I hate to see October go.

I should be over it now I know,
It doesn't matter much
How old I grow,
I hate to see October go.

4 comments:

Jennie B. said...

Oh my gosh. Are you sure that isn't Orion?!?! He looks just like him! What a beautiful boy!

Eloisa said...

He is growing so fast!! Must be the mother's milk!! Keep up with your beautiful work of sacrifice. He is beautiful!!!

Stephen said...

Your uncle's talk was wonderful and moving.

King Klan said...

congrats on your new little one

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer