Monday, June 29, 2009

Politically Incorrect?! - Why is the Great MJ's Death More Important than the Cap and Trade Bill that just passed?

These days I'm finding blogging to be a great way for me to write my thoughts out as a way of journaling, stress relief and also as a way to share and compare ideas I'm passionate about. Which lately happen to be in many different venues. I don't consider myself a person well knowledged in the areas of politics and economics. In high school they were my least favorite subjects. Had I had better teachers in these areas, I might have developed a better love for these.

I owe my recently developed interest in such fields to Glenn Beck. He just makes it so easy to actually understand what's going on in Washington. The more he talks about it, the more I desire to understand. The more I desire to understand, the more I seek. The more I seek, the more I read. The more I read, the more I truly understand. The more I truly understand, the more frustrated I get with my lack of education.

Everything I was taught in the public schools (which all happens to be government funded btw) is practically useless. Yes, I learned my ABC's and how to read, and on occasion how to do some basic arithmetic. Don't get me wrong. I am grateful for all that I have learned but I truly wonder about some of the things that I valued to be important in my education. The more I learn, the less I know. Crazy huh? I find out more and more each day, just how little I actually know. And anyone who knows me well, knows what a struggle I've had with deciding how I wish to educate my own children. Both Alex and myself were raised in public schools and have talked a lot about home schooling. I was of the idea that by doing so, I would be depriving them of a social life. But humans by nature are social, and will seek it out. Who is the government to think that as mothers and fathers, we are inadequate to educate our own offspring? I know many times I do feel inadequate as a parent, but how is it right to believe that my children's education would be better off in someone else's hands? There is absolutely no one out there in the world who could possibly love my kids in the same way I do and absolutely no one who could teach them with the same patience that I would have for them. When you really stop to think about this, there is nobody who could possibly educate and nurture a child the way a mother and father could.

I know that this topic may bring up some controversy, even within my own family, but all too often, we are taught to be politically correct. What does that mean btw? Politically correct?! I am using this blog post as a springboard to share more ideas as they come without feeling like I need to censor everything I say; without fearing that what I say might be "politically incorrect." In my opinion, that term was created by an individual (possibly a politician) fearful of the idea that someone might possibly disagree.

So aside from the fact that I am more and more convinced that home schooling is the path for me and my children, I wonder if anyone out there really understands what's going on with the Cap and Trade bill that has just passed today. I really want to know more about this and would like to exchange ideas with others who may know better than I or who may be interested in learning more about it along with me. Where is this country headed? Why is it that the mainstream media has focused so much on Michael Jackson's death and fails to present to the public, what's really going on? I mean, I love the great MJ. I'm a dancer. Nothing against him (well, maybe perhaps that whole sexual scandal). He's a great American icon. But I think even Michael would roll in his grave to hear that the vast majority of politicians accuse conservatists of being racist. Please. Anyone with ideas? Let's not be afraid to be politically incorrect.

1 comment:

April said...

haha. No fear here! I think you'd really like John Taylor Gatto. Look him up online and see if you'd like to read his books. He really opens up the educational system for what it is. We'll be doing homeschooling as far as I can see.
I'm ignorant of the cap and trade thing. I'll have to check it out.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer