Friday, June 26, 2009

And Yet Another Allergy


See this avocado fruit. A perfectly harmless and most delicious fruit it is. Not so in Orion's case. Anyone who knows my son, knows just how many allergies he's got. I can't be too sure just yet because I need to test it again more carefully, but it was one of those nights when I decided I wanted Orion to try a new food. What a wonderful mom I am. Here I am encouraging and almost forcing my son to try something that's not good for him. Avocado was the food of the day. I only wanted him to try it. He's such a picky eater sometimes that he doesn't try things based on how they look. So he barely had the tiniest piece in his mouth before spitting it out. Then the rash came. I don't want to envision what might have happened if he'd eaten more. All he had was residue. Like I said, he spit the tiny bite out. I swear I have the most allergic little boy on the planet. Most of his intolerances are mild enough that he's never suffered from an anaphylactic shock or anything like that. Usually he just breaks out into rashes, some more severe than others. So technically they aren't true allergies; just intolerances. Some of the culprits that I know of for sure, are milk and all dairy products, peanuts, coconut and now very possibly avocado. So sad. I love guacamole. This particular one rather gave me a scare. And I'm not the kind of mom who scares easily. He was actually coughing and wheezing for a bit and so I gave him some benadryl and put an analgesic cream on his skin that our naturopathic doctor prescribed and it seems to be under control now. Milk and coconut are not as bad, but with peanuts, his face actually swells up and he looks like Hitch. With avocado, he seems to only have a rash but the wheezing started to scare me because for a moment he seemed to have trouble breathing. Not so good. Well, I guess this means we need to be careful with avocados. No avocado masks for you, Orion.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

How I hope and pray that he might outgrow these intolerances. My brother, Jason, could not have dairy in his childhood. He's OK now. Hope and prayer.

Stephen said...

BTW, who took that photo of the avocados? Great shot!

Ligia said...

That's just a picture from the internet. But thanx for giving me credit for the shot. :oP

Eloisa said...

After reading about this avocado experience, I have a strong feeling to check papito Jorge's Pediatric volume. A good idea is to keep a diary. So you are doing it. It also mentioned after two years you can try some of the products that caused trouble. There could be a change in the outcome.

Anonymous said...

Poor kid.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but what you are describing are true allergic reactions and not intolerances. Intolerances are when the food causes a headache or indigestion or things like that; allergies are when the body for some reason mistakes the food for a toxin, and responds with an immune response such as hives, swelling, etc. And, unfortunately, reactions can get worse with repeated exposure. The same thing that's causing hives on a first exposure could cause his throat to swell on a subsequent exposure, and that could cut off his air supply. I hate to say this, but if he's allergic to peanuts, you should almost certainly be carrying an epi-pen at all times. I read up on this when we suspected our Henry had a peanut allergy (fortunately he turned out not to have a diagnosable one, although our Ike is allergic to milk) and peanuts are one of those dangerous ones where you can't be too careful. Again, sorry for the doom-and-gloom, but there was a girl at my high school with a peanut allergy who ate non-peanut M&Ms that had been processed on the same equipment as peanut ones and she died from it. (She was one of the cases that led to the more careful labeling on candy now.) There have been other sad stories in the news, too, like the young woman who died after she kissed her boyfriend who had eaten a peanut-butter sandwich. It's absolutely a pain to have to be so careful, but worth it to save a kid's life.

It really is a good thing he wasn't eager to eat more of that avocado. But I agree with you that it's sad -- avocados are a wonderful food.

-cousin Zina

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer