Friday, June 19, 2009

Our Greatest Jewels

"In the eternal perspective, children-not possessions, not position, not prestige- are our greatest jewels." (President Ezra Taft Benson, an address given at a fireside for Parents on February 22, 1987)

I love this quote. I've been thinking a lot about this. Sometimes I get caught up in the ways of the world, always wanting the latest trendy thing. I swear I haven't grown up yet. I always want a new pair of shoes or outfit. And then there are times when I justify buying something because I think my kids need it when I well know they could very much still grow up to become great human beings without it. For the longest time, I thought that finishing college and getting my Bachelor's was what was important. I thought that having that title would make me worth something in life. While I did learn a lot in the process of receiving this particular accolade, I realize now that it is not my most "precious ruby," so to speak. Nothing I could ever accomplish in this whole world would ever amount to the worth of the two sweet little angels I lug around my hips from time to time. Children are our greatest jewels and I write this because I constantly need this as a reminder in my life. I forget so easily that I already have some of the most unique and valuable jewels that ever existed on the planet. As a co-creator along with my husband and Heavenly Father, these jewels are mine.

I've been reading Dr. Laura's new book In Praise of Stay-At-Home-Moms. I love it. It's such a good reminder and I recommend it to any mother wondering why she had kids in the first place. I know we love our kids but if we are to be honest with ourselves, we all have our days. I know I do. I am just now learning how to let go of the Feminist within that our culture so graciously teaches young girls to embrace. So sad. In my opinion, nothing is more empowering to a woman than to become a mother, and if the circumstance allows, a stay-at-home-mother.

Not looking to argue with anyone. Just writing out my latest thoughts.

2 comments:

Sarah Ball said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts today.. it is very true. what a blessing it is to be a mommy. Thanks for the reminder =)

Stephen said...

You go girl. You make me feel blessed.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer