Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Trying to Read the Scriptures More Often

This new ward that I'm in has for some reason given us many challenges to read the Book of Mormon more often. I guess this was something I needed to hear. Our bishop has encouraged us many times to try to fit in what he calls the "Hour of Power." Then our relief society has encouraged us to read the Book of Mormon in one month, starting the month of June. I would love to write that I've taken on both challenges and gone above and beyond what was expected of me. Sadly, I can't say that. What I will say is that the challenges have inspired me.

Prior to these challenges I've only read the Book of Mormon maybe twice. Once on my own as a teenager and once in college for my religion classes. On many occasions I've started the book many times and for some reason get stuck in Second Nephi and then I discontinue reading. I guess you could say, reading this book for me has been quite the challenge. For the last five years, I've slowly worked my way through and up until the beginning of this month, I had been in Alma for what seemed like forever. So when I decided I would take on the 30-day challenge, I said to myself, "I'm not starting over from the beginning. I'll start from where I am and do my best to make it around back to where I am, which at the time was Alma 60. Since it is already June 28, I should roughly be in Alma 44, right? Not even close. I'm in Ether 14. However, I did want to take a moment to document that I'm amazed at how quickly I've gotten through so much when it has taken me five years to get to Alma. In less than a month, I've gotten through Helaman, the 3rd and 4th books of Nephi, Mormon and almost all of Ether. And I don't write this to prove that I'm a fast reader or anything. Though we all know how quickly I can get through the Harry Potter and Twilight series. I'm rather impressed with the fact that I've been able to get through so much despite my ability to make excuses for "not being able to," or "not having enough time." I guess I'm just trying to focus on the positive.

In my attempt to read the book in 30 days, though I've failed to achieve that goal, I've gotten further than I once thought possible. If you're like me, you find the language in the book difficult to understand at times. But I have learned so much this month about myself and my testimony has surely begun to grow. I have spent too many years thriving off of others and in a sense living off of others' testimonies. I truly feel like for the first time in my life, I'm really wanting to have a knowledge for myself. So, as slowly as that may come about, I'm determined now more than ever before to make scripture reading of the utmost priority. I suppose that by blogging this, I am in a way having others hold me accountable to my goals. They say unwritten goals are just wishes anyways, right? So, it is written.

Some things I've noticed:

-When I read for about an hour, I have more drive throughout the monotonous days of motherhood.

-Orion asks me what I'm doing a lot and when I explain that I'm reading the Book of Mormon, he says to me, "Oh, okay, I'll wait till your done," at which point he actually waits silently and gives me some peace rather than asking me 20 questions every hour and . . .

- . . . more recently, he has asked, "Mommy, can you read me the stories?"

-When I try to read with a more animated narration so that he can understand things better, somehow I understand them better too.

-Reading out loud helps a lot. At least for me.

-Chrysalis flips through her Gospel Art Book on occasion while sitting next to me and claims, "I'm reading my scriptures." This, I find terribly cute.

-I feel more productive.

-I don't feel so alone all the time.

Anyways, those are just a few things I've noticed. So, even though I haven't read the whole Book in 30 days, I'm pleased to say that I'm about 12 chapters away from finishing the Book of Mormon for the third time in my life. Yay! I should make myself a certificate. I will finish the book this week. Then keep working my way around again. Once I've done that, I intend to get through the Bible again too. One small goal at a time though, right?

2 comments:

Stephen said...

If it seems to one they've been in Alma forever? It's because they have. LOL

Congratulations, Ligia.

Alex said...

Alma is the one I tend to breeze through because I love all the missionary and war stories. The one that takes me forever is 2nd Nephi. Helaman takes a little while too, but not like 2nd Nephi. Soooo.... it's been over a week... have you finished yet?

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer