Monday, July 5, 2010

My Baby Brother Missionary

I've been wanting to post about this for a while now but haven't gotten around to it. I guess I've just been thinking a lot lately about missionaries and missionary work. But here it is: This is my baby brother. He's about 9 years younger than me. And he's on his mission in McAllen, Texas. I can't believe he old enough to be on a mission already. I can clearly remember the day he was born. I wanted to be the first one to hold him. I was so anxious for this baby brother of mine. I remember making that clear to my parents. So, aside from the doctors and nurses and my mom and dad, I was in there to be the first one to hold my baby brother. I got to hold him before any of my aunts and before Gio and that was all that mattered to me. I remember wanting so badly to change his diapers and feed him. I wish I had that desire now with my own kids. Jk. It's different with my kids I suppose. But my baby bro and I have a special bond and I do miss him terribly. He was my little cuddle buddy even long after he wasn't little anymore. And even though he's not my big brother, he was always there to tell me when the guy I was dating was totally wrong for me. And he didn't feel that way about Alex. He must have been the right one. This special brother of mine who grew up with three sisters and no brothers has always been so gentle and kind with the ladies. I know one day he will surely make one lucky lady very happy. And in the meantime, he's making the Lord very happy. Above is one his recent baptisms.

But this picture should give you all a better idea of how goofy and charismatic this kid is if you don't already know him. I think his smile in this photo says it all. I know he has a special work to do and he will strive to do his best with it. Come August he will have already completed his first year. Crazy how time flies. I must be getting old.

So here's a small tribute to my baby brother missionary, Elder Jose Mauricio Velez. I love you little bro. Now, GET BACK to WORK!

1 comment:

Eloisa said...

Hijita, 3 days ago, I told your father I need to send Mauricio some ties. This past Monday he wrote to us. He asked for ties. I stopped everything that I was doing and went shopping for ties for this special missionary. He is centainly loved. I did send to him the little cassete of the FHE we had in South Caroline.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer