Sunday, February 7, 2010

Here comes Number Three: C'est la Vie!


It's not for certain at the time that I write this post. But as I've been charting my temperatures and using FAM (Fertility Awareness Method as discussed in Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler) as both birth control and to plan our growing family better, I came across an interesting pattern that couldn't mean anything other than that Baby Huntington #3 was on it's way. Hooray!!! But the signs are all there. As of today, I've had 21 days straight of temperatures far above my coverline. I've had three somewhat regular cycles prior to this temperature rise. I say somewhat, because I've only recently begun to ovulate again after not having ovulated for almost 18 months straight. Why is this? Well, I got pregnant in May of 2008, and am still currently nursing my sweet baby girl. So, that would explain my inability to have a regular cycle. Btw, today is also a special day. It is my little girl's first birthday. I can't believe a year has come and gone. It brings tears to my eyes to think that my little baby girl isn't quite the helpless infant anymore. She walks and talks babbles, and has quite the personality at times. But we love her the same.

I also want to take a moment to document the fact that I've reached my goal of wanting to nurse my second baby for at least one year. Those who know me well, know how difficult this was for me. I sometimes feel like I failed with Orion because I only made it to 7 months. But I don't kick myself for it anymore. I'm sure he's forgiven me. But at the beginning of my pregnancy with Chrysalis, I had set out with great determination to make it to at least one year. Believe me, there were days when I wanted to quit. Not that it was painful or anything. But you mothers out there will understand me when I say breastfeeding is a full-time job in and of itself. This was not an easy thing for me to do. But I made it. One year today. Now, even if I wanted to quit, I'm not sure I could because Chrys is still very much attached to the breast. So slowly, I am going to try and introduce rice and nut milks into her diet and hope that she'll take to those well. I've heard almond mixed with coconut milks are full of plenty of the necessary fats that growing babies need.
I don't wish to publish this post the day that I write this because I want to be doubly sure before making the claim that baby #3 is really on its way.

I do wish to document this for the sake of journaling our family's experiences and also to be of support to any other women out there who may feel skeptical about using FAM and to encourage any who may already be on the journey. Also, for anyone who may not know about it, I would like to highly promote its use. Am I getting paid for saying this? No. But when I find something I strongly believe in and find to be absolutely useful to women, mothers, and parents in general, I'm not the kind of person who likes to keep it to myself. I'm in awe at the fact that very few women know about it. Whether they decide to use it or not, every woman has a right to educate herself on the matter. I was struck with a sense of real ignorance about my own body a few years ago when I was first introduced to the idea by a friend.

But FAM has been a great tool for us. To put it discreetly, it has allowed for us to use a form of Natural Birth Control and also for Pregnancy Achievement when we were ready. I love things to be as close to nature as possible. I know that in saying this I might strike chords of dissonance with people who might think otherwise but it saddens me to see so many women out there in the world turning to pills and other newer devices and feel them safe to use as contraceptives. The feminists of the world will have women believe they are in control and are taking charge of their bodies in this manner. I'm not one to oppose advances in science and tools or techniques that might further our abilities to be more efficient as human beings, but when it comes to messing with our bodies especially with chemicals created by man, I MUST oppose, even if only in my opinion as expressed in this blog.

I don't wish to demean anyone or friends that have used the forms of contraceptives of which I speak. Every woman has to find what works for her, with her body and must also keep in mind the opinion of her companion. By posting this, I only wish to state an opinion. My convictions are strong. By nature, I'm a passionate human being and passion only seeks to be expressed. Like I stated earlier, I'm not the kind of person who wishes to remain silent about something that I strongly believe in. I like to share and am always open to having others share things with me as well. I'm not perfect. I don't claim to be close to it either. But there you have it. Some of my thoughts written out loud for all to read. If further interest peaks your mind, pick up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health by Toni Weschler. If you've never heard of it, it will change your life. I promise.

Anyways, as I bring this particular post to an end, I'd like to use it to mark the beginning of a new adventure for this little family of four to embark upon. It means, a family of 5 to feed for my husband, it means a fourth child for me to take care of (hubby included, Jk), it means Orion has a greater example to set, it means Chrysalis will be a big sister for the first time. We're real excited. Nervous? Apprehensive? Of course. But somehow, we know we'll be taken care of. I reminisce about a time not too long ago when I got pregnant for the first time. We had no money, huge debts, a small house that smelled like sewage (literally) and Alex was the only one working for about $11/hour. We may not be billionaires but the Lord has truly blessed us in more ways than one. Somehow, we still have shelter over our heads, clothes on our backs, food on our tables, and sometimes, even some extra cash in our pockets. Whether we lose some or we gain some, we will always have one another. And that's the glue. That's what holds us together. C'est la vie.


6 comments:

Palmyra said...

Congratulations!! On meeting your goal and on the baby to be! That's really exciting. I like the fact that you are so open and share on what you learn. We too tried a method of natural birth control at the beginning of our marriage. We both thought we were safe...Like you say, C'est la vie, or better yet, when God means for something to happen...its gonna happen! We still don't use the pill for the same reasons you mentioned but I became very skeptical of natural methods. I'm glad its working for you guys! Again congrats...so when are you due? :)

Gio said...

From your post...I'm not really sure what FAM is other than a short way to say family. Haha! I know your feelings are not to offend anyone on this matter too. You made that very clear. Haha. I probably wont look into this topic too much right now. But in the future...I know you will be ready and educated to direct me in your old experienced and wise ways. Haha! :)

Gio said...

I just realized I laughed about 3 times in your last post. I must really like saying, "Haha!"

Gio said...

Please tell me you took some pictures or videos of Chrys' birthday!!! I want videos! And many more pictures!

Elliot said...

Congratulations!

I can't believe we forgot to call and wish Chrysalis a happy birthday. I really need to start a birthday calendar for all my relatives. I don't know anyone's birthday anymore.

I must be getting old.

Again, congratulations!

Kira said...

Congratulations! and Happy Birthday Chrysalis. When is your due date? I haven't heard of FAM, but am assuming it's keeping track of your cycles + using temperature? Anyway, I'm excited for you guys.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer