Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day! I'm a little behind, but I just wanted to say it anyways.

Not too long ago, Alex and I watched a fun documentary called The Botany of Desire in which a botanist by the name of Michael Pollan describes how long ago, people in the Netherlands went through a phase called Tulipmania. They sold these Tulips for more than they were really worth. The most rare of these flowers, which in those days cost as much as a house, were these white tulips with splashes of red stripes all over them. Decades later, it was discovered that the reason these tulips were so rare was because they were infected with a virus. That's what caused the striped coloring. Anyways, a day before Valentine's Day my sweet hubby surprised me with these lovely red roses that had that similar striped splash. He said that like our marriage, these roses weren't perfect because technically they were probably diseased, but that they were beautiful even with their flaws. Alex rarely shows that he pays attention to detail, so it was nice to see that he did on this particular occasion. Thank you Hun. I love my diseased flowers. :) I love any and all flowers anyways. But these were special so I had to capture the moment with my camera.


My gift to him wasn't much. A homemade stir-fry with some veggie eggrolls. Okay, not completely Vegan, but I tried. And a sappy love poem.

I think he liked it.

What do you think?

And since the raw strawberry cheesecake was such a big hit, I made one in a heart pan for Valentine's day. We took this one to share with the Porter family since they invited us over for dinner with their families.


Orion tries to figure out exactly what to do with these Valentines he's supposed to hand out.

Chrysalis decides the mini-M&M's are great rattles and takes McKinlee's away so that she can shake two of them at the same time.

Our friend Brittney and her lovely daughter McKinlee.

I realized we don't have a picture together so we tried to take one. Not a flattering pic of me but oh well. Brittney always looks great. I just need to always remember what a sweet and generous person she's been to me. Thanx to her, Chrysalis may never need for me to buy her clothes. She just gets all of McKinlee's hand-me-downs. At least until we move away I guess. But thanx JP and Brittney for buying our daughter's clothes.

Orion sneaks into his bag of goodies. So much candy to choose from.

1 comment:

April said...

Love the pix and the updates! Cute. Love the people too. :)

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer