Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hinckley's Birth Story

Please forgive how tired I look and how messy my hair is, but this is what it looks like to be 9 months along and about to enter labor. For me at least. I know other women manage to look way more put together.

This picture was taken Saturday night when a few "gentle surges" began. We call them that because that is what our hypnobirthing instructor told us to call them. We try to stay away from the "C" word. It just sounds so medical. "Surge" we feel is a better word to use. Anyways, so a few surges began on Saturday night and we were sure labor would bring this baby to us on Sunday night at the latest, but all day Sunday labor seemed to slow down a bit. Surges came more sporadically and less intense. But I was certain this baby was close because I had already had a bloody show and my mucous plug had come out. Yes, I know you all wanted to know that. I like to be thorough I suppose with my story-telling.

Mid-day Monday, they picked up again and so we called the midwife over and my dilation was only at a two. She was certain it was still pretty early labor but that night was the hardest on me and so I couldn't sleep that night, unless you consider 4 minute intervals of dozing at a time sleep. Since my surges were about 5 minutes apart for a few hours and I was having trouble walking and talking through them, we decided to go into the office at around 8am to check my dilation again since we didn't want to make my midwife come back and miss all her appointments if it was still pretty early labor. Tuesday morning at 8am, I got checked again and we found out my body had definitely been at work all night long. I was 8 cm dilated with a "bulging bag." At that point, we came back home, and Suzanne (our midwife) found another midwife to cover her appointments because even she was surprised my body had been working so hard over night. She followed us home and brought two of her student midwives with her. Auntie April and cousin Tate came over to keep the kiddos entertained throughout the morning and while they were in a room playing, long story short, we decided to rupture my water to see if it would speed things along a bit and after a minute of pushing, Hinckley was out. I labored in many different positions. Both in the bath tub and the birthing tub. On hands and knees, in the rocking chair, on the pilates ball and standing and walking around. I still wouldn't say it was the easiest thing but the hardest part was quick which I'm glad of and today I am actually feeling pretty well. My recovery seems to be faster each time. A little bit sore, but that's to be expected I suppose. I'll be sure to post more pics soon. For now, here's a fun video to go along with my story. I start off at 8 cm dilated. So in this video you are seeing me in pretty intense labor. I didn't think anyone cared to see me crown or scream which I did do maybe a few times but we didn't get that on camera anyways because my mom wasn't here yet and Alex was sitting behind me on the birthing stool being my support where I labored the last few minutes. Not that I would show that to the world even if we had captured it on video. But there you have it. Second successful home birth in a row.

I hope this doesn't come across as boastful in any way. I just like to write my story and hope that it can inspire anyone who may have considered or is considering going this route as well. We don't have enough of these kinds of stories to share. It saddens me to hear women boast about their horror stories sometimes, as if that were going to inspire other women in the future to try a natural birth. I realize every woman's situation is different but why not consider it and teach future generations that hospitals, epidurals and c-sections are not the ONLY way to go? I want to say thanks to all my friends who have inspired me with their home/natural births also. Your stories have deeply touched me and allowed me to do this again.

Hinckley James Huntington came into the world at 11:54 am Tuesday Sept. 28th. Apgar scores were 9/10. He has been my longest baby so far stretching the length of 22 inches but not the heaviest. He weighed in at 8 lbs. 9 oz. and his head circumference was 14.25 inches. Total labor was 37:54 with pushing time of 1 minute. So far, Orion has been my biggest baby but Hinckley's not so bad for a boy who's mom decided to be vegan about 80% of the entire pregnancy. He came out perfectly pink with a great sucking reflex and pretty calm. He's cried very little. Let's hope it stays that way. :) Welcome baby of mine! We are already deeply in love.


6 comments:

Alex said...

Just in case it's too ambiguous for anyone, by the "C-word", she means "contraction".

Kira said...

Congratulations to your whole family! Bracken watched the whole video with me and was so interested by the "Little, little baby". I'm glad your birth went so well and thanks for sharing the story. You're a tough gal Ligia, that was a long labor, but sounds like you did great. I'm proud of you! We love you guys!

Palmyra said...

We did the hypnobabies too. However, our instructor called them "pressure waves." I was a bit traumatized with that word from Alex's birth, because I "knew' what it meant. So with Jake's birth I so wished I had another word to call them. I now do!

Our insurance won't pay for a home birth and they cover everything in a hospital, but I would love one. Even with a "birth plan" my hospital births have felt rushed. Constantly pressured into getting as many drugs as necessary to speed up the labor, whether it be petocin or epidurals.., they are all drugs.

However, I do gotta say, after having my first baby natural, and Jake with the epidural...I was grateful for the epidural! And it did make me wonder why I chose to go all natural the first time. I then remembered the blog entry you wrote about your little girl's birth and about that "high" that you got right after you had her. It never came with Jake. Don't know why it didn't, I didn't feel bad about the way the birth had gone, I was oh so happy, but I didn't feel that "high" I did with Alex (are we just masochistic?). Oh, and I did have back pain weeks after.

I admire your determination epecially after such a long labor! Congratulation Ligia, hats off to you. Enjoy your new born.

ps. Sorry I wrote so much, I probably should have just written all of this in my own blog!

Jennie B. said...

Made me tear up to see the newbie. He is so beautiful. Great job for sticking it out and doing so well! You're such a great mother.

Elliot said...

This is so cool. Thanks for sharing and taking the great video clips.

Stephen said...

I'm so proud of you all. I think of how special this is for Orion And Chrys.

Thanks so much for the video and photos.

LD

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer