Sunday, December 13, 2009

What You Can Do with $1.25 Can of Snow Spray

Here are some fun photos of the real thing.

In my mind, God is the Great Artist.

And following are some of our family's immitations.

I remember doing this a long time ago with my Mom and have wondered why we haven't done it since. So I decided to buy a can of snow spray and start up the tradition again. Orion was very excited to spray my cut out snowflakes onto the window. He doesn't quite have the right arm maneuver yet but here is an example of one he sprayed himself and I was quite impressed with how well it turned out. It was a little clumped up over to the left, but not bad for a two-year-old.

Here it is up close and personal.

These fun doors at the house we rent were fun to decorate. We started making them lower but quickly realized that was a mistake because of the baby girl wanting to eat the snow by rubbing her fingers through the freshly sprayed-on flakes.

It was fun to see all the different patterns we could come up with no matter how many of the same kinds of cuts you made in the paper. I suppose it's almost like real snowflakes. Go figure.

Here are some more I made with Orion while helping him to guide the can in order to get a nice and even spray.

Okay, so I got a little carried away. Well, it just goes to show that even on a tight budget you can still get creative. I've discovered that a lot this year. But somehow my list of expanding creative projects doesn't cease to amaze even me.

And yet some more.

Here is one Alex made that doesn't look quite like a snowflake. I think it looks more like a ninja star of some sort. I guess that's the look he was going for. Or so he says.

This one of his turned out a little more like something you'd find over a sewage drain in a city. But we laughed and used it anyways.

This one looks something like a quilt because it's not quite so round like a snowflake but it has a pretty cool design, I thought. My hubby can be crafty if he wants to be. I guess he just doesn't like to admit it.

And here are some more he did. He didn't like his at first cuz he thought they didn't look like snowflakes. He described the big one as being more of a Native-American-looking snowflake because of the desgin. And the one on the bottom right corner, he said looked like something that belonged on a skateboard. I had to agree. But I loved them all anyways. I look forward to the day when Orion and Chrys can handle the scissors better so that I can see what kinds of snowflakes they design.

While my imitation of God's intelligent design of real snowflakes still lacks quite a bit, I marvel at the brilliance of such a mind. I'm convinced God is an artist. My talent is but a small fraction of what his is, but it surely is fun to try and mimic his frosty skills. Here's to a fun Christmas hobby and perhaps more to come. Arizona needs a little snow anyways.

8 comments:

Amy said...

LOVE this post. Definitely want to try it.

Eloisa said...

Thanks hijita you transported me when you guys were little. We surely had so much fun doing it.

Gio said...

How come I never remember doing this in my childhood?

Ligia said...

Because we didn't do it enough. We have to do this again. At home.

Stephen said...

Loved it.

Tiffany said...

You are too cute. Those are awesome!!

amber driessen said...

I love your snowflakes. I need to get a can!!

April said...

What a fun tradition!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer