Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Three Years and Counting

Approximately three years and seven days ago (but who's counting?) on a beautiful, sunny Southern California, spring day, an event took place that was to change my life forever.

It was at the beautiful Newport Beach Temple, on April 29, 2006 that Alex and I were sealed.

We walked out of the beautiful temple doors, hand-in-hand, and I knew my life would never be the same.

Since then, there have been many ups and downs, from tears of sorrow to tears of pain and tears of laughter to tears of joy. The moments of frustration between a young couple committed to working through differences are not always easy to work through. Ask anyone who's been married. They know. But I know they're worth it.

I'm the happiest woman alive because . . . . .

The love and constant support I receive from family and friends has doubled. My family has grown and even though they may be slightly dysfunctional, they have always been supportive of the love that needs to be nurtured between a couple entering into the eternal bonds of marriage.

Three years and seven days down, eternity more to go. On our wedding bands, Alex and I decided to engrave the words Come What May. I am a real fan of Moulin Rouge so the music inspires me. Come What May was my favorite song. Since then, quite recently, a talk was given by our Apostle Joseph B. Wirthlin entitled Come What May and Love it. He passed away soon after giving it. In it he said, ". . . every life has peaks and shadows and times when it seems that the birds don’t sing and bells don’t ring. Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result." I am so glad we chose this short but meaningful message to have as a theme to base our marriage upon. It is a constant reminder to us of how having patience with one another through the hard times does and will pay off when we look at the bigger picture. So Hunny, here's to eternity. Through thick and thin, I will be by your side. I don't care how hard things may get. Come What May, and LOVE IT! Happy 3rd Anniversary Babe!

7 comments:

Kristin Kimble Purles said...

I love that! Makes me want to find a perfect quote with so much meaning to do the same. I guess it would mean more if I wait for it to find us though. Happy Anniversary!

Ligia said...

Yeah, like I said, at the time we chose it because of the song. Not very spiritual then. I guess it's turned into that though.

Stephen said...

Tears to my eyes. What a potent slogan. Has ultimate spiritual inference. I'm proud of you guys for your determination to choose rightly.
LD

Burton Fam said...

you guys are so great! we miss ya lots! :) I am loving that quote from Elder Worthlin!Do you know the name of the talk?! loves ya!

-Cars

King Klan said...

Yeah for 3 years! thats great and i love the quote

Elliot said...

This is a beautiful post. I've witnessed the love and devotion you both have for each other. I'm so glad you guys are my family!

"Come what may." Amen!

Palmyra said...

That's so special! Congratulations! You guys make a beautiful couple, and you are both very good writers by the way. I was teary by the end of the post...ok, maybe a cried a little.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer