Saturday, May 14, 2011

My First Nap Time Dance

I've recently attended a workshop for dancers who've become mothers and the collaboration of ideas that took place there was rather inspiring and uplifting. I must admit, I've had a lot of ideas about putting together my own choreography simply for the fun of it. I don't know why I haven't actually made myself do it until now. Maybe it was the three children and how they took their toll on my body. Maybe it's dealing with my own insecurities of whether I can dance or not. I may never become the dancer I always dreamed I would be. But the truth is, dance is an outlet for me to express and explore what I feel I've barely begun to tap into. Just a few short months ago, I was laying in bed alone one night, wondering if this 29 year old woman would ever amount to anything else in the world of dance and movement that she so craves. Forgive the rusty stiffness of my movement. I haven't danced in a long time. So mostly I'm doing this to work through the kinks in my joints, but putting together this small project was an idea inspired by an old dance mate who is organizing a dance company for stay-at-home mothers and exploring the use of technology to put together pieces online, since finding time to practice dance at the studio with children is highly impossible. She calls them nap time dances. The basic idea, is that you put the kids down for a nap, grab a camera and video your choreography.

Anyone who knows me, knows I have a hard time sharing my art. I suppose it sometimes makes me feel vulnerable. But I'm going out on a limb here to hopefully inspire other artists to continue exploring whatever art genre they love while focusing their energy on the mundane things of life that call us "Mom." Appropriate I suppose for the month of May. So here's one of my, hopefully, first of many projects to come.

I entitled this one: Peace of Me

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer