Monday, September 21, 2009

My New Family History

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFLQSy6alE

A couple Sundays ago I was in Sunday school being taught a lesson of which I much needed. All too often I take our vehicles for granted and am quick to anger and murmur. I forget that the trials of our time, though different, are nothing our ancestors had to bear. This short video was played during the class. A story of which my husband had already shared with me. But I had never seen this talk in which Gordon B Hinckley sets the perfect tone for the story in which C. Allen Huntington (one of Alex's ancestors) was one of the three 18 year old boys who were "true to the faith." This brought me to tears. How many times have I murmured about making yet another move to my husband? How many times has he taken me in his arms to calm my stress? We jokingly discuss of how if we'd been asked to leave Jerusalem, I probably would have perished with my riches. This story reminds me of the great and wonderful things that are before me if I will be but "true to the faith." Hope you enjoy this as much as I did. I am so pleased to be a part of such a great heritage. My children have a great example to look up to for the rest of their lives.

2 comments:

Eloisa said...

I have seen this before. It made me cry before. It made me cry now. What a legacy!! I always remember when you complaing about the bus from Hermosa Dr. School. I had to go and look at the bus. When I saw the beautiful bus. I wanted to take you to Peru and have you ride on those buses. We did have a chance to take you in the Cholo train to MachuPicchu. Choclo con quezo!!!! I love u Tesoro.

marymary said...

We just talked about this story in Sunday School today, and I was feeling proud too to be related to one of those boys! C. Allen Huntington isn't actually Alex's and my ancestor, but he is the nephew of our ancestor so he's definitely family. It goes like this: Alex Huntington--> Stephen Huntington--> Roy Huntington --> George Augustus Huntington--> George William Huntington--> Oliver Boardman Huntington. One of Oliver Boardman's brothers was Dimmick Huntington, and C. Allen was one of Dimmick's boys. Oliver and Dimmick's father was William Huntington, whose family were very early converts to the church and whose name is mentioned in the Doctrine and Covenants. We had a Sunday School lesson several weeks ago covering the chapter where his name appears and we were discussing what happened with many of the saints mentioned in the same chapter (several later fell away), and I saw the name of my ancestor there and thought how grateful I was to him for remaining true, and to every generation after him, so that I could have the gospel. It was kind a poignant moment for me, feeling the same testimony burning in my heart that led him and his family to embrace the truth.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Our little swimmer